How to Choose a Michigan Deck Building Contractor
Choosing a Michigan deck building contractor for your deck project may be intimidating, so here are some tips. It is good to note that a contractor is a specific person and will often be associated with a company name or brand.
When choosing a contractor to head up your deck construction, these simple steps can mean the difference between having complete confidence in your choice and sleepless nights.
Here are a few tips on how to choose a deck building contractor.
Questions to ask:
- Is the contractor licensed? How long have they done this kind of work?
- Is the contractor insured? Ask to see their insurance certificates.
- Clean up–Who is responsible? When will it be done? Does the left-over material belong to me?
- Do we need a permit? Will you apply for the permit? Is this included in the price? Who will get Homeowners Association approval?
- Timing–When will you start construction? How long will the job take?
More Important Questions:
- Who is going to physically do the work? You? Your employees? Or do they use subcontractors or cheap seasonal labor?
- References – Ask for several, call them, look at their work!
- Who is going to design the deck? Is there a charge for this service? How much experience does this person have? Is this the same person that is going to build it? The one that sold it to you?
- Design features – How big should it be? How many levels? Will it be within your budget? What will the railing look like? What direction will the deck boards run?
- Material – What kind of material should be used and why? 2×4 or 2×6 decking? Do you provide visquene and stone? How thick and what color is visquene? How large is the stone?
- Construction Specifics – What size post, beam, and joist do you use? How do you secure your beam to the post? How will you bond or attach the deck to the house? Would you recommend a “skirt” around the deck? Who will call MISS-DIG? If you hit an electrical, gas, telephone, or sprinkler line who is responsible? How far apart will the deck boards be, and will any be spliced?
- Payment terms – How much of a deposit do you require? How much do you want at the start of the job? Do you expect payment instantly upon completion?
- Warranty – What kind of warranty do you provide? How long is it in effect and specifically what things are covered? Is the contractor certified in the installation of the materials he has used?